Colorado Funeral Complaints
Filing a Complaint
The Colorado Funeral Service Board may be able to assist consumers in resolving disputes through mediation without disciplinary action.
Please keep in mind that the Colorado Funeral Service Board:
Cannot provide funding nor financial resources for funeral services.
- Cannot act as a regulatory enforcement or disciplinary authority. We may refer you to contact the appropriate regulatory agency directly when an investigation or disciplinary action may be warranted.
- Cannot engage in disputes or mediation with families for pending funeral arrangements. After a written complaint is filed with the CFSB, we may attempt to mediate a resolution.
- Cannot refer you to a specific funeral director, funeral establishment or crematory. The searchable directory on our website can help you locate CFDA members in your area.
- Cannot provide recommendations or references about funeral directors, funeral establishments or crematories. We may refer you to the appropriate regulatory agency to verify license status and/or disciplinary actions.
How to File a Complaint
Colorado Funeral Service Board
Complaint must be filed in writing within one year of an incident. The complaint should include a detailed account of the facts involved in the case and should be specific about the expected resolution.
Submit written complaints to:
Colorado Funeral Service Board (CFSB)
c/o Colorado Funeral Directors Association
P. O. Box 631664
Highlands Ranch, CO 80163-1664
After someone files a complaint, a CFSB Representative makes a preliminary determination that the complaint is directed against a CFDA member firm or an individual certified by the CFSB, and alleges an act or omission that could violate the association's constitution, bylaws, or standards of practice.
- The CFSB representative may attempt to mediate between the parties to reach a mutually agreeable resolution.
- The CFSB may decline to take action if the matter is the subject of a complaint filed with another state or involves a legal matter.
- The CFSB may recommend that the complaint be reported to legal authorities if it is determined that the matter of the complaint is in violation of the state laws.
- The CFSB may also refer the complaint to another entity or jurisdiction, or dismiss it.
File a Complaint with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
All funeral establishments and crematories must be registered annually with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA).
DORA's Office of Funeral Home & Crematory Registration investigates complaints and enforces disciplinary actions against those who violate the Mortuary Science Code and the program rules.
Complaints must be filed online at https://dpo.colorado.gov/FileComplaint